Our fast-paced lives have led to an enormous shift in the way we see and perceive relationships. The tedious responsibilities attached and the tag of ‘commitment’ is reduced to a nothing. The delicate nature of human relationships have left many frustrated and irritated to carry them on for too long with patience.
Talking of romantic relationships, I would like to discuss how these relationships have been transformed over the years and how differently they are perceived and labeled. This article talks about soulmates and life partners and the essential difference.
Are our soul mates and life partner at loggerheads?
- Elizabeth Gilbert, in her novel Eat Pray Love, says “…a true soul mate is a mirror, the person who shows you everything that is holding you back, the person who brings you to your own attention so you can change your life.” A life partner, on the other hand, is someone with whom you have an understanding of sharing a whole life together, with compromise and at times a bittersweet love.
- A life partner will bring in your life stories of heartbreaks, childhood that is different from yours, background that will leave you thinking if you will ever be able to adjust with them and when you do take the plunge, it’s all about compromise. Whereas “A soul mate’s purpose is to shake you up, tear apart your ego a little bit, show you your obstacles and addictions, break your heart open so new light can get in, make you so desperate and out of control that you have to transform your life”.
- Soul mate would be your better half but won’t go on to be one. On the other hand, a life partner would be a companion who will be a steady shoulder to hang onto. There is a sense of commitment present with them.
- As opposed to falling for your life partner, falling for your soul mate would be dangerous. Remember that their job is to fulfill emptiness in you and then leave.
- Soul mates are almost always intuitive. There is a strong sense of already knowing what the other feels and needs. A life partner will always have to be figured out and vice-versa.