We are so used to seeing our parents as responsible adults that we tend to forget that they were young and rash just like us at some point in their lives. With a lot of vintage trends coming back, today’s youth have started looking at the 1970s and 80s as an age of freedom, love, and good music. One of the many trends celebrating this era is one in which people across the internet are posting old photos of parents doing some seriously cool things. Keep reading if you want to feel like you’re back in an older era.
Here are 35 old photos of parents that they look much cooler than their kids today.
1. ‘My Mom At 16 Years Old With Her Camaro In 1975’
How many of us would give an arm and a leg to own a vintage car at the age of sixteen? Maybe it wasn’t vintage back then but it is certainly a car many would still love to have.
2. ‘My Mother Skateboarding Barefoot In California In 1974’
Imagine being reminded thousands of times to be careful when you’re playing outside only to find this picture of your mom barefoot on a skateboard! This person’s mom was truly a badass when she was young.
3. ‘I Found A Photo Of My Dad Cooking A Barbecue On Top Of A Moving Submarine’
This person’s father took his love for barbecues to a very unconventional and slightly risky location – the roof of a moving submarine. Talk about guts!
4. ‘My Dad Sculpting A Bust Of My Mom in 1980s’
These are one of those parents who seem to personify #couplegoals. This picture not only showcases the dad’s artistic talent, but it also highlights the mother’s beauty and the love and devotion they share between them.
5. ‘A Friend Of My Father’s, Telling Off A Klan Member. Auburn AL 1985’
This person’s dad knew how to protest. Many of us in today’s times can take a lesson on what it means to stand up for what you believe in just from this picture.
6. ‘My Dad Skateboarding At Hyde School 1982. I Think He Was Cooler Than Me’
Skating barefoot while wearing a proper suit and sunglasses would already take the cake but to top it all off, this uber cool dad is also somehow maintaining a grip on his briefcase!
7. ‘My Dad Being Infinitely Cooler Than I’ll Ever Be (1980)’
Looking like a young Bruce Springsteen fresh off the sets of ‘Born In The USA’, this dad is beating all the kids doing wheelies on their bicycles, hands down.
8. ‘My Mother When She Was A Tank Instructor In 1984’
We tend to forget the roles women played in the military before it became mainstream. This mother looks like she’s ready to kick some ass.
9. ‘My Dad, Taken For A Surfer Magazine. Peru, 1977’
Not only is this dad an ultra good looking model, but he also clearly had the talent and skill to pull some really cool surfing moves.
10. ‘Late 1960’s, My Dad’
Most young adult men of today would absolutely kill for this effortless pin-up heartthrob look that this dad portrays with ease.
11. ‘My Mom In Moscow 1975. From All The Stories She’s Told Me About Her Travels, I wouldn’t Be Surprised If She Was A Spy’
With her black leather jacket, this person’s mother definitely looks the part of a spy. It is even more fitting that this picture was taken in Russia.
12. ‘My Dad’s First Car, A 1939 Ford. He Bought It With His Own Money That He Earned Farming (And Drove It Daily). He was 11 When He Bought It, So This Photo Was Taken In 1948’
Saving up enough money to buy a car at the ripe age of eleven, this person’s dad was clearly the boss!
13. ‘My Dad Wasn’t Famous, But His Moves Were Pretty Cool (1977)’
Forget the barefoot skaters! This dad is casually doing a handstand on a skateboard like it’s a walk in the park.
14. ‘My Dad In Saudi Arabia In The 70’s Working As A US Military Contractor Diving In The Red Sea’
This dad looks like he’s stepped out of one of the panels of ‘Tintin And Red Rackham’s Treasure’!
15. ‘My Dad In The 70’s Doing What He Loves. Father To 4 Boys. More Man Than Myth Or Legend’
When it comes to dangerous stunts, this one really takes the cake! Anything can happen, from hypothermia to broken bones but this daredevil dad is too cool to care about all that.
16. ‘My Dad Teaching Math In Southern California (the Late 70’s/Early 80’s)
Math can be a very intimidating and boring subject but this dad has clearly succeeded in making the class a very exciting one for all concerned.
17. ‘My Mom’s Selfie Before It Was Cool (1989)’
You really have to appreciate the innovative things people had to do just to take a selfie back then, something we all take for granted now.
18. ‘My Mom And Dad On Their Wedding Day 1980’
Biker gangs and weddings are an amazing combination and this couple are the perfect example!
19. ‘My Mom When She Lived in Alaska With Her Husky Puppy, Okie’
Honestly, there is so much cuteness in this picture that one can’t even begin to describe it.
20. ’48 Beers And A Unicycle. My Dad In The Early 80s’
It takes a rare level of confidence to do this because all his buddies would have been really pissed off if anything had happened to the beer.
21. ‘Mom’s ‘Garden’ 1980’s’
I’m sure many of us would have wanted a *ahem* *ahem* garden like this for ourselves.
22. ‘Me Looking Up To My Fighter Pilot Dad In The Late 1980’s’
The love between a father and his son is truly special and it is perfectly encapsulated in this picture.
23. ‘So I was Going Through Some Old Photos And I Found This. My Dad Holding Magic Johnson And Looking Incredibly Bad-Ass While Doing It’
There can be no explanation that truly captures in words the sheer awesomeness of this photo.
24. ‘My Mom Working At NASA, 1974’
Women have made a lot of contribution to the world of science and just because society doesn’t acknowledge their work, doesn’t mean that it can be erased.
25. ‘My Mom Skating With A Broken Wrist In The Late 70’s’
Skater moms are much cooler than soccer moms and this skater mom isn’t the type to let a little thing like a broken bone stand in her way.
26. ‘My Dad in Alaska, Circa 1980. I Hope To Be Half The Man He Is One Day’
Even though the picture was taken in 1980, this dad exhibits the pioneering spirit that allowed the first settlers to live here.
27. ‘Mom Wasn’t The Pilot, But She Was A Tech On The F-4 Phantom Back In The 80’s’
There really can’t be anything cooler than knowing that the plane is only staying up in the sky because of your technical skills.
28. ‘My Mom Winning The Pie Eating Contest By Beating All The Boys, 1950’
Women really can do everything that men can and this mother proved it when she was just a kid.
29. ‘My Dad In France In the ‘70s (Ryan Gosling Might Need A Paternity Test)
Okay, the resemblance here is UNCANNY and it makes you wonder what the son looks like.
30. ‘My Father In 1982. When I Asked Him What He Was Doing In This Photo, He Said, “Shooting An Album Cover. Duh”’
This picture has the swag that only comes from being a musician and completely rocking it on stage as a young adult.
31. ‘My Mother And Father Being Young And Awesome On Santorini Island, Greece, 1985. I Was Conceived There’
Across the ages, there’s nothing quite like being young and in love.
32. ‘My Dad And His Cousins, Back In The Day. I Don’t Think The Cool Gene Was Passed Down To Me’
Most cheer squads today would kill to execute a balancing act that is so perfect!
33. ‘When My Dad Was 16, He Entered His Name In A Drawing, For What He Thought Was A Sports Jacket At A Local Shoe Store. The Drawing Was Actually For A 1967 Shelby GT500. He Won’
Imagine having so much good luck that you manage to win a free car by the time you’re sixteen! However, we should feel bad for the guy who ended up with the sports jacket.
34. ‘My Friend’s Dad Trained Seals In The Navy. This Was What His Everyday Job Looked Like’
While the life of a Navy SEAL might be tough, this person’s dad had the best job in the world. Just look at all the love the seal is giving him!
35. ‘My Cool AF Dad At 19 (1973)
Another dad who managed to pull off the pin-up heartthrob look back in the day! His mom sure is a very lucky woman.